The Bitorrent client uTorrent has made a huge leap forward today with the release of the first public uTorrent 3.0 alpha build. This continues the release policy of the developers who have always offered access to both stable and development builds of the popular torrent downloader.
The latest stable version offered on the uTorrent homepage is version 2.02, the latest official beta 2.03. Utorrent 3.0 Alpha replaces the latest development release uTorrent 2.x. It is not clear yet why the developers have decided to make the version jump to 3.0.
The release notes of uTorrent 3.0 Alpha does not contain major feature additions, included are a handful of bug fixes and changes. The only feature addition is the ability to disable UDP trackers.
2010-06-24: Version 3.0 (build 20228)
- Fix: fixed uTP crash on sockets being closed with uninitialized read buffers
- Fix: default download directory fix for multifile torrents
- Change: rate limit uTP by default
- Fix: Fixed fast-resend bug in selective ack handling in uTP. This could cause too aggressive resends on packet loss
- Change: fix crash when formatting a string with NULL
- Change: make uTP slightly less aggressive on loss
- Change: Mention uTP in settings and reorganize new bandwidth checkbox since they apply to both up and down limits
- Change: Render TCP rates in speed graph when uTP is not throttled
- Change: Moved net.calc_overhead to the Bandwidth settings pane
- Fix: RSS items show a different icon if disabled
- Change: Turn on uTP throttling when scheduler is in “limited” mode
- Fix: Fixed a delayed ack issue in uTP (lowers overhead)
- Fix: RSS items would show when torrent list was empty
- Fix: made magnet links in RSS feeds work
- Change: made uTP packet size increase based on low delay measurements
- Fix: made uTP packet size depend on total send rate, not just uTP send rate
- Change: new advanced settings net.disable_ipv6 that defaults to True on 64bit Windows
- Change: Don’t show add torrent dialog by default.
- Feature: Add checkbox to disable UDP trackers
The latest alpha of uTorrent 3.0 is available for download at the uTorrent forum. Users who have already worked with development releases before will get an automatic update notification in the Bittorrent client to install the new version directly.