Windows/Mac/Linux: Dropbox has quietly offered up a release candidate version of an upcoming 1.0 release. There are lots of bug fixes and performance improvements, naturally, but the RC includes “selective sync,” letting you control which folders are synced to your hard drive.
In other words, if you’re using multiple machines, and you don’t need every folder in Dropbox stashed on every system, you can un-check certain folders in your Dropbox settings to keep them stashed only on Dropbox’s servers. They’re still there if you need them, but if you’ve got a sizable Dropbox space, you can save yourself some hard drive sectors on your smaller machines.
The 1.0 RC is a free download for Windows, Mac, and Linux systems. If you’re currently running version 0.7.110 on your Mac or Linux system (mouse over the system tray/menu bar icon to see your version), don’t upgrade directly to this release candidate without reading Dropbox’s tips at the link below.
WTF, Yep the Dropbox desktop client hits 1.0! I’m sure you guys saw that one coming This doesn’t mean much for you guys, our faithful testers, as this is basically the same 0.8 you know and love, just with a new version number.
Edit:We have found a bug when upgrading from 0.7.110 to 1.0.0 on OSX and Linux. Please do not install this version if you are currently running 0.7.110 and are on those platforms. If you already have and are having issues please see the bottom note for a potential workaround.
Here’s what has been fixed since 0.8.114:
* Stop the Dropbox location changer widget from jumping all over the place in the tour.
* Fixed case where the Dropbox preferences window wouldn’t always become active when clicked from the menu bar on Mac OS X versions before Snow Leopard.
* New “Easy Relink” dialog in the tour. Now when you link with the same account as a previous installation you will be greeted with a fast path to configuring Dropbox. This retains your Dropbox location setting as well as your selective sync settings.
* Selective sync is optimized to finish *a lot* quicker when changing settings during initial sync.
* The Dropbox tour is now more careful about merging your dropbox with a previous installation.
* Better handling of folders which names like “.dropbox” or “Desktop.ini”, having folders with these names could cause Dropbox to spin in some syncing situations.
* Dropbox will now be more aggressive about making sure to not add duplicate entries to the Finder sidebar.
* Fix random bug that would prevent preferences to show up when you opened it for the first time at a rare point on Windows.
* Don’t enable Growl notifications for all compatible apps if you didn’t have Growl installed before installing Dropbox.
* “Move Dropbox” was broken in some cases on Windows, now should be a lot better.
* Fix the context menu not showing up sometimes on Mac OS X versions before Snow Leopard.
Have fun guys! Thanks so much for testing!
Mac OS X: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/Dropbox%201.0.0.dmg
Linux x86_64: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-1.0.0.tar.gz
Linux x86: http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox-lnx.x86-1.0.0.tar.gz