Skype for Pidgin is a very useful API plugin for Pidgin that allow us to have online conversations with our Skype friends, it can display us the list of our friends with their respective image and status.
This Skype API Plugin for Pidgin/libpurple/Adium. If you’re already running Skype, you can have your Skype contacts displayed with your Pidgin/libpurple/Adium contacts. It is intended as a complete replacement for the Skype user interface, hopefully everything you can do in Skype you can do with this plugin.
1- Install Pidgin:
If you don`t have Pidgin installed, install it first via the following command:
sudo apt-get install pidgin
yum install pidgin
For Slackware and Salix
slack-get install pidgin
zypper in pidgin
2- Install Skype API plugin:
- For Debian or other Debian based like ubuntu, linuxmint…
Download and install this debian package : skype4pidgin.deb (Debian/Ubuntu/LinuxMint..)
Or install using the following:
sudo dpkg -i skype4pidgin.deb
- For other Linux distributions download of the following file:
Copy libskype.so to the plugins directory, normally to:
/usr/lib/purple-2/ or ~/.purple/plugins
3- To install the imoticons pack:
Finally, if you want to have the original Skype emoticons, download Skype emoticons pack from here.
- Open Pidgin, click Tools from the main menu, then Preferences (or simply Ctrl+P in the Pidgin window)
- Go to the Smiley Themes tab
- Drag and drop the downloaded tgz archive (i.e. pidgin-original-x.x.x.tgz), or click Add and point to the archive
- Select Original Smileys from the list, and click OK