The purpose of Tsung is to simulate users in order to test the scalability and performance of IP based client/server applications. You can use it to do load and stress testing of your servers. Many protocols have been implemented and tested, and it can be easily extended.
It can be distributed on several client machines and is able to simulate hundreds of thousands of virtual users concurrently (or even millions if you have enough hardware …).
Tsung is developed in Erlang, an open-source language made by Ericsson for building robust fault-tolerant distributed applications.
Tsung is supported by Process-One
- High Performance: the load can be distributed on a cluster of client machines
- Multi-protocols using a plugin system: HTTP, WebDAV, SOAP, PostgreSQL, MySQL, LDAP and XMPP/Jabber are currently supported. SSL is also supported.
- Several IP addresses can be used on a single machine using the underlying OS IP Aliasing
- OS monitoring (CPU, memory and network traffic) using SNMP, Munin or Erlang agents on remote servers.
- XML configuration system; several sessions can be used to simulate different type of users. Dynamic sessions can be easily described in XML (this can be used to retrieve at runtime an ID from the server output and use it later in the session).
- In order to generate a realistic traffic, user think-times and the arrival rate can be randomize using a probability distribution
- HTML reports can be generated during the load to view response times measurement, server CPU, etc.
- HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 support
- GET and POST requests
- Cookies are automatically handled
- ‘GET If-modified since’ type of request
- WWW-authentication Basic
- Proxy mode to record sessions using a Web browser.
- Basic support for SOAP using the HTTP mode (the SOAPAction HTTP header is handle).
- WebDAV extensions
- Authentication, presence and register messages
- Chat messages to online or offline users
- Roster set and get requests
- Global users’ synchronization can be set on specific actions
- PubSub, MUC, Virtual Hosts
- Authentication (password or MD5)
- Basic Queries
This plugin works only with MySQL version 4.1 and higher.
- Secured authentication method only (MySQL >= 4.1)
- Basic Queries
- Add, search, modify queries
- starttls (only with R12B-0 Erlang and up)
Install Tsung on ubuntu
Download deb package from here once you have deb package you can install by double clicking on it.
You can check here how to use Tsung from here