XNOISE is a media player for Gtk+ with a slick GUI, great speed and lots of features.
Unlike Rhythmbox, Banshee or itunes, Xnoise uses a tracklist centric design. The tracklist is a list of video or music tracks that are played one by one without being removed. This gives you the possibility to enqueue any track in any order, regardless if they are on the same album or not.
The tracks can be reordered at any time via drag and drop.
The media browser contains all available media in a hierarchical tree structure of the available metadata. It is easy to find a single track, artist or album by going through this tree or by just entering a search term. From the media browser, music or videos can be dragged into the tracklist to every position.
Single or multiple tracks, streams, albums or artists can be dragged onto the tracklist and be reordered. Within the playing track, it’s possible to scroll to every position by clicking the position bar.
Xnoise can play every kind of audio/video data that gstreamer can handle.
Xnoise has seperated threads for GUI and database access, so it always remains usable (even while importing large media collections)
Xnoise was written in vala, releases are generated C-Code for GObject. For compiling distributed tarballs no vala compiler is needed.
What is new in version 0.1.31
* port xnoise to gtk+-3.0
* add option for disabling video subtitles
* stop using uris for the title search
* mediabrowser: gtk3 compatible font rendering with linebreaks
* update some translation
* lastfm plugin: make scrobbling optional (cover fetching can be used without logging an user into lastfm)
* remove deprecated HBox/VBox widgets
* use icons for drag’n’drop
* drop dependency to libunique (now gio’s application class)
* introduce gtk2 branch in version control
* remove old versions of notification and soundmenu plugin
* many bug fixes
Install xnoise 0.1.31 in ubuntu
Open the terminal and run the following commands
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shkn/xnoise
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xnoise