“Twoflower” is an important update to our 2.0 media player.
2.0.6 is an important update that fixes some regressions of the 2.0.x branch of VLC.
2.0.6 introduces support for Matroska v4 files.
2.0.6 also introduces an important number of fixes for MKV, Ogg, AVI, WMV, HTTPS and subtitles support. Fixes FLAC 6.1/7.1, ALAC, and Intel HD 2000/3000 GPU decoding on Windows are also present.
2.0.6 also improves the Mac OS X, the D-Bus and MPRIS2 interfaces.
2.0.6 uses a new compiler for Windows version, done by the MinGW-w64 project.
With faster decoding on multi-core, GPU, and mobile hardware and the ability to open more formats, notably professional, HD and 10bits codecs, 2.0 was a major upgrade for VLC.
Get VLC now!Version 2.0.6
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing subpicture blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for colorspace conversion, including 10bits.
- New video outputs for Windows 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- New debanding, grain, denoising and anti-flickering filters.
- New deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- New resamplers for higher quality audio.
- New dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- New audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp…
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
INPUT AND DEVICES
- Experimental support for BluRay discs:
– Menus are deactivated in this release (will come soon).
– AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys are not shipped, for legal reasons.
- Support for SDI capture cards and QTKit devices.
- Support for new adaptive streaming protocols, like HLS and DASH.
FOR MAC USERS
- Completely new, single window interface:
– Available in 2 colors: Lion grey and QTX black.
– Extensions support and better Lion integration.
- Support for all QTKit devices through qtcapture and qtsound modules.
- Continued support for X 10.5 and PPC users (1080p and ProRes on Dual-G5!).
FOR ANIME FANS
- Vastly improved MKV demuxer.
- Rewritten linked segments and ordered chapter files support.
- Correct support for FLAC, RV and Hi10p in MKV.
- Rewritten seeking support in cue files.
- Various ASS subtitles improvements.
FOR PROFESSIONAL USERS
- Support for ProRes 422 and 4444, AVC/Intra.
- Support for Jpeg-2000, Dirac and DNxHD/VC-3 in 10bits.
- Support for EBU subtitles (stl) and EIA-608.
- SDI and HD-SDI card support for input on Linux.
- New Dirac/VC-2 encoder, faster than the previous one.
- libVLC, libVLCcore and libcompat have switched from GPL to LGPLv2.1+.
- New libVLC examples are available: media player, photobooth and mediainfo clones.
- New JSON requests on the web interface to control running VLC instances.
- Implementation of the MPRIS2 interface to control media players.
- VLC’s web plugins have been rewritten for better integration and stability in all browsers.
2.0.6 specific changes
- Support for Matroska v4 files
- Fix WMV, Ogg, AVI, MP4 and subtitles crashes and issues
- Numerous translations updates and new Welsh translation
- Small fixes and improvements on the Mac OS X interface
- Fix GPU decoding on Intel HD 2000/3000 on Windows
- New compiler for VLC on Windows, from the MinGW-w64 project.
- Fix some HTTPS certificate rejection
- Fix ALAC decoding
- Fix FLAC 6.1 and 7.1 channel order
- Fix the vimeo parser
- Numerous D-Bus and MPRIS2 improvements
Spread the news
Mac OS X
Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8
Mac OS X 10.5 Intel
Mac OS X 10.5 PowerPC
Ask your favorite packager for VLC 2.0!
For any questions related to this release, please contact us.